Thursday, September 8, 2011

Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things.

For Sociology we read an article called “Survivors of the F-227.” It was about a rugby team whose plane crashed in the middle of nowhere. The rugby members that endured the crash ended up eating the dead bodies of the rest of the team, in order to stay alive. Although the surviving team members made some rules about eating the bodies, such as not eating women or anyone that they knew, and they made the excuse that God wanted them to survive, it disturbed many people once they arrived back home. The F-227 survivors’ encounter changed their perception on reality. In our society we do not eat other people for the same reason in class no one would eat their own saliva from a spoon.
In addition to reading the article this week, we also watched the pilot of Freaks and Geeks. It represented the different cliques, or groups, throughout the school. The druggies, or the “freaks,” are seen ditching class or smoking on the smoking patio. The “geeks” are seen as Mathletes and they are constantly bullied around. The main character, Lindsay’s, personality suddenly changes after her grandmother passes away. She goes from being a Mathlete to a “freak” in the way that she dresses, as well as her careless personality. This is an example of conflict theory because the two different groups are always encouraging her to come into their group. Her counselor, Jeff, is convincing her to re-join the Mathletes club, while the freaks are persuading her to hang out with them instead of going to the homecoming dance. The acts of her grandma convince Lindsay to hang out with the geeks because of the idea that Lindsay’s grandma spent her whole life being good, and didn’t get anything out of it.
Ever since I moved to the suburbs of Chicago just before freshman year I have never had just one group of friends that I always hang out with. I have my girls from swim team, my Persian friends, my journalism friends, my smart friends, my best friends, etc. Each and every one of my friends from these groups has shaped me in different ways and I wouldn’t be the same without any one of them. It is important to surround yourself with the right group of people because they’re going to influence the way you dress, think, and act. 

1 comment:

  1. I liked your post because it really got me thinking. I also in my post talked about the survivors in the F-227 and i think its really important to sociology.

    ReplyDelete