Thursday, October 27, 2011

A bit different, but mostly the same

      This week we went on an in-school field trip and viewed a panel of gay and transgender students, and one gay parent. This panel clarified the difference between sex and gender roles, as well as the difference between nature and nurture. They talked about It was really interesting to listen to each student's experiences with their family and coming out. It made me less ignorant to the fact that there are gay students in our school. I learned that I should never assume someone is straight. One of the panel speakers, Sam, talked about how his teacher assumed that he was straight. His teacher asked him if he was "going to the football game to pick up chicks." Sam was extremely offended by his teachers words since the entire class knew he was gay, and was laughing at the teacher's ignorance. Sam also talked about how he had to reassure his mom that everything would end up being okay. In our society, this is a bit unusual because we normally see a parental figure nurturing their children, instead of the other way around. After this assembly I also learned that there is a difference between sexuality and a gender role. I also learned about the difficulties that are transgender students face on a daily basis. For example, when Nick goes to the guy's bathroom the school security guards get mad and him. On the other hand when he uses the girl's bathroom, girls look at her as if she's in the wrong place. 
       Although I am straight, and I have not faced any of the difficulties that the gay/transgender students have faced, I have gay friends and I know that words such as "fag" and "gay," that are casually used among teenagers are extremely offensive to students that are actually gay. When I hear these offensive words used in everyday conversation, such as "that's so gay," I hear an intended meaning of stupid. I know for a fact that gay students are not stupid. They are just like us; they are intelligent and are actively involved in our community and extracurricular activities. There is only one difference between gay students and straight students, other than that one difference, we are the same.

1 comment:

  1. I was glad we were given this opportunity I will admit to laughing uncomfortably at times but I was glad to listen to their perspective and hopefully will change some of my habits they find offensive.

    ReplyDelete