Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Fake Role Model


This week we talked about gender characteristics represented in the media. In order for a product to be seen as "masculine" it must be blue or green in color, and the words that precede the product name should have something to do with being "adventurous." On the other, girl's products must be pink and purple, and must proceed with words like "princess." At a very young age girls are deemed to realize that being a girl is all about beauty on the outside, and not from within, which is not true. Boys, on the other hand, are constantly seen trying to be manlier, with their muscles and adventurous attitude. 
After watching my family watch television for the un-TV assignment in my sociology class, I realized that our society is corrupted by today’s media. As I was watching my mom watch her favorite TV show, Monk, I occasionally interrupted her thirty-minute TV show by asking her when dinner would be ready and if she could sign a permission slip. She angrily tells me to stop blocking the television. Clearly watching TV is more important than my hunger.
            In addition to corrupting your mind, today’s media feeds into the constant stereotypes that we make. For example, the Halloween commercials emphasize the idea that young women should be dressed in sexy costumes and men should dress in masculine outfits.
            After finishing the un-TV assignment I realized that today’s media keeps the audience from demonstrating their personal freedom because the media is brainwashing us. I have learned that most things that the media shows is not true, and if you are trying to be something or someone that is depicted by the media you should stop because that person or thing that is supposedly your role model is fake. 







3 comments:

  1. I really liked your post because of all the videos you put to prove your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! thats so true. and I agree. It was really different how you showed videos to back up your points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting those videoes!

    ReplyDelete