Thursday, November 17, 2011

Don't Assume. Say "Thank You."

     This week we talked about deviance, which is actions or behaviors that violate cultural norms in one's society, these actions can be both positive and negative. We were assigned a positive deviance project in which we were supposed to do a good deed for someone else. My act of positive deviance was baking a homemade pumpkin pie and a card for my mom. My mom and I are so close we are practically sisters. My mom does countless favors for me on a daily basis. She makes me breakfast, lunch, and dinner, drives me to school every morning, picks me up from after school sports and clubs, and MUCH more. But my sisterly relationship with her has caused me to take advantage of everything that she does for me. I gave her the pie and the handmade card thanking her for everything that she has done for me, and she really enjoyed it. She said it was "really unexpected and heartwarming." I think that it's important to not assume that the most important people in our lives know that we appreciate them, and love them. It's important to tell those people I much you love them and care about them from time to time. It could really make their day! 

1 comment:

  1. I think that was a great idea you came up with and it sounds like it really had a positive impact towards your mom. I realize too that my parents do a lot for me and a simple thank you might go a long way.

    ReplyDelete