Monday, January 9, 2012

Am I Really Who I Am?

  When I think about who I am I think about what defines me, and that’s my name. My name is Ghazal. Yes, like the animal. When I was younger I used to think my name was weird and I hated my name because people would mispronounce my name or misspell it. Teachers always mispronounce my name as “Guzle” or “Gaazle” whenever they called attendance on the first day of school. Every time I corrected them, they would ask, “Like the animal?” Now, I somewhat dread the first day of school, as the teachers still mispronounce my name, but I’m getting used to it. It seems as if the older I get the better the teachers get at pronouncing my name correctly, or maybe I’m getting used to the fact that they can’t pronounce my name properly. Now that I am older and I actually know the meaning of my name, I tend to like it a lot better. When I considering who I am, I know that I am unique because I have a name that nobody else has. Ultimately, I don't think anyone completely knows who they are. Every day lived, one will learn something new about onesself. As Oprah Winfrey said, "as you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what's best for you." 


Before taking sociology I defined myself by the traits that I have, my characteristics, and personality. Now that I have take sociology I realize that I am not only defined by myself, but those that surround me. I am influenced not only by myself but by my friends, family, school, teachers, workplace, and city in which I reside. Without them, I would not be myself, and there wouldn't be anyone to define. 

No comments:

Post a Comment